So this is Kona!
He is a 4 month husky mix, and we got him at the shelter. I have no clue what else he is mixed with, but his hair is short and he has the cutest freckles on his nose! And the tip of his tail is white, like it was dipped in paint or something! A pup after my own heart :)
I've tried to be creative in keeping him distracted while I'm working/painting, because as cute as I think it would be to have painted puppy paws all over the garage floor, I'm more concerned about him fudging up any of my pieces or chewing on waxy cheesecloth. My solution in the garage is to tether him to a tree in our yard so he can roam around and get just close enough to be near me but not interfere with my work. Except that then he gets tangled around something every 15 minutes, whines, and then I go let him free. That combined with his super cuteness and my obsession for wanting to spy on him all the time make it hard to focus for very long. But then there are the rare moments when he comes and sits by me and watches. *sigh* love him.
When I'm working inside, a Kong full of chicken will keep him quite busy/ out of the way, until I put him outside to play without me (sad).
And since I could talk about my dog all day (somebody stop me!), I'll go ahead and switch over to the hutch!
It took me a few weeks to recover and find a new vision for it, but I finally decided to try something new and hope for the best. This is when my clear vision took over. I mixed up a custom antique white chalk paint and gave it two coats. Then I did a technique I'd never done before but have been wanting to try: I dry-brushed Annie Sloan Cocoa over the entire thing. The effect was so cool! Like a fancy smancy finish you only find in fancy stores. I lightly sanded the entire finish with #400 to "blend" in the Cocoa with the antique white just a little, and then used #150 sandpaper to rough up some of the edges. The blue ended up showing through and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved it! It gives the piece a deeper dimension and more customized look.
It's hard to see in any photos, but the inside is grey. That is where I had some other hiccups:: I tried to spray paint the interior. Bad idea. It was drippy and awful and I cursed a few times. I really couldn't get into all the corners and sides of the interior because the glass didn't come off. So I had to sand it down and brush paint it, which required me to cut the handle off my Purdy brush because it just wouldn't fit inside the small area. That in itself was a mournful process because my Purdy brushes are my babies. But really people, they should make brushes with shorter handles!! I know it'll come in handy on many other pieces. And even though I taped the glass, I still managed to get tons of paint on the glass. Thankfully a razor and some patience were enough to give a clean crisp edge.
Then I gave the hardware a new look with Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. I like their ORB better than Rustoleum's because Rustoleum's has a slight shimmer/glitter to it that looks cheap and cheesy.