Thursday, October 9, 2014

General Finishes Gel Stained Bookcases




If you're a DIYer and have browsed through Pinterest, chances are you've seen this pin by Monica at monicawantsit.com about refinishing oak cabinets to an espresso finish with General Finishes Java gel stain.


Like many of you, I had to try this. 

When we moved into our house two years ago, I finished our bathroom cabinets with this method. A few months later, I finished some bookshelves for my living room that I'd bought from a garage sale.


 THEN, I refinished a Goodwill dresser to use as our sideboard/ buffet.


The stain is not complicated to apply, though it is time-consuming. It's definitely worth the work involved because the finish is extremely durable, easy to clean, and the color is coveted in modern decor. Stuff redone with this really does look sharp and dramatic! 

It was no surprise to me, then, when I was asked to finish a set of bookcases in this manner for clients who saw my own bookcases. Here they are before and after! 


Big difference right?! 

For details on how to do this yourself, check out the original blog post by Monica and read her answers to all your FAQ's here. 

Also: if you have a local General Finishes supplier, call ahead to make sure they have the Java in stock before you make the drive! My guy told me that because of this pin, their stock is flying off the shelves!! Monica should be making commission! :)

Lemme know if you've tried this and what you think! 


1 comment: